Lancashire Churches

St. Bartholomew’s Church in Colne

A medieval church at the summit of an industrial East Lancashire town. The church of St Bartholomew, Colne, sits at the summit of the hill on which the town is built, at a height of 623 feet above sea level. It is not aligned precisely east-west...

St. Mary’s Church in Hambleton

An early C19 church with striking additions of 1973. Hanging in St Mary’s, Hambleton, is a painting of the church as it looked before the remarkable building programme of 1973. It shows a modest early C19 church of four window bays separated...

Christ’s Church in Glasson

A characteristic 1840 church by the Lancaster architect, Edmund Sharpe. Christ Church, Glasson, sits by the towpath of a branch of the Lancaster Canal, a stone’s throw from Glasson Dock. It serves a settlement that began life in the late C18...

St John’s the Divine Church in Lytham

Shellard’s elegant broach spire is a feature of the Lytham seafront. There are many English churches whose visual contribution to their location far outweighs their architectural merits. Such is the case with St John the Divine, Lytham. This...

St. Mary & St. John Baptist’s Church in Pleasington

A church of 1816-19 by the Manchester architect John Palmer. The foundation stone of the Roman Catholic church of St Mary & St John the Baptist Pleasington, also known as Pleasington Priory, was laid on June 6th 1816. On the 24th August 1819 the...

Have a look at latest publications